At its core, the Christmas and Hanukkah season is about sharing time with loved ones and reflecting on the year behind you while excitedly planning for all the New Year has to offer. But in the midst of all the twinkling lights, colorful decorations, holiday parties and frenzied shoppers, it’s easy to get caught up in the sheer commercialization and stress that dominate this time of year. To help you keep the true reason for the season in focus, Project SOS offers these 10 tips to make the holidays more meaningful for you and those you love.
- Skip shopping and create custom handmade gifts instead.
- In lieu of a gift, make a donation in a loved one’s name to a charitable cause that you know is important to them.
- In turn, when asked what you’d like for Christmas, request that they donate to a charitable cause that’s important to you.
- Gather a group of friends to spend a day volunteering at a homeless shelter or food bank, children’s home, retirement home or hospital.
- Fill a stocking full of gifts and treats and leave it on the doorstep of someone who has lost a job or has no nearby family with whom to spend the holidays.
- Plan a day of caroling with friends in your neighborhood or a nearby park.
- Spend part of the day worshiping and fellowshipping at your church, synagogue or temple.
- Gather family and friends to watch an inspirational film such as the Frank Capra classic, It’s a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart; 1947’s Miracle on 34th Street; or the funny favorite, A Christmas Story.
- Make amends with someone with whom you’ve had a falling out and vow to renew and strengthen your relationship.
- Spend a few hours alone, reflecting on the accomplishments, blessings and best memories of the past year. Write them down on one side of a sheet of paper, then fill the other side with plans, hopes and goals for the New Year. Make this a personal tradition that you repeat each year. If you need help in determining or meeting those goals, call 904-296-9950 to schedule an appointment with a Project SOS certified life coach.
How do you make the holidays meaningful? Share your thoughts on the Project SOS Facebook Fan Page. Above all, have a safe, happy and loving holiday season.